Thursday, May 17, 2012

I shaved my legs with a dude razor.

It was exactly like it sounds, folks.

I was in the shower, stranded, and called for my mom to please bring me a razor. I desperately needed it. When I have no one to impress around, I tend to neglect my leg hair. Actually, that's a lie. I really only shave my legs when it hurts  to rub them together.

Anyone who knows me think that this was some feminist stunt to manufacture some feminist rant. It's not. I speaketh the truth. 

So I was in the shower, and really, really  needed to shave my legs. My mom brought me a razor, all right. She brought me the best a man can get. Yes. She brought me this.

At first I was skeptical. The razor handle is made of metal. I can't even tell you how many times I thought that my little purple Venus would be much better if it was metal.

I think it's actually spring loaded, too. I accidentally shot myself with the blade. That button where the handle meets the head is just that. A button. Watch your eyes.

It also has more blades. When dude razor commercials bragged of the benefits of 5 blades instead of 4, I didn't think it would actually make that much more difference. It. Does. For me, it's not a good shave if I haven't cut my skin 893 times so that the drain has a slight pink ring of blood around it. Nothing! No nicks! I wasn't even worried, and I'm the girl who doesn't even have interesting stories for my scars! "Oh yes, that badass looking scar on my knee was from The Shave of '09... What a bloodbath."

So compared to lady razors, it's definitely more dudely. Heavier. Bigger. Harder. Enthusiastic.

But honestly, I think I'm converted. I don't think anyone really likes to shave their legs. I don't. I'm too afraid of giving myself yet another scar, so I just don't. If lady shavers knew that dude razors don't hurt and they'll cut your shaving time down, why not use them? I think I may from now on.

Whatevs. I don't even care if they're meant for men. I like the Gillette Fusion. I really don't have any complaints... other than the metal. The metal is overkill.

I feel like I need to touch on this. I'm a feminist, but when it comes to leg shaving. I  don't stand here,

but I don't stand here either. (Not to mention how incredibly gendered, homophobic, beauty-prejudiced and narrow-minded this picture is is...)


And I absolutely do not stand here. (...Is this a thing?)

Anyway, it's time for me to conclude. If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, try sometime else. If you like it, great, and if you don't, that's fine too. Give it a try, it may surprise you.

Sure,  using a dude razor may not be some huge, symbolic statement for how people should live their life... but why not?

Our daily experiences should remind us of how we want to live, and I want to be open-minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment